Thursday, July 26, 2012

Product: Frontera All Natural Guacamole Mix



While I consider myself to be fairly adventurous when it comes to trying new cuisines, there is a category of food that I try to avoid at all costs: dips. The psychology behind this bizarre "fear" is truly another story for another day, but within the last three years, I developed a love for the buttery, creamy, tangy taste of guacamole.



  I make it a point to always order the "Tableside Guacamole & Chips" when dining at my favorite Mexican restaurants, and after watching it made by some of my favorite Food Network Chefs like Ina Garten and Bobby Flay, I decided it can't be that hard to make!

  The first few times I made it my ratio of avocado:tomato:onion was terribly off. Instead of avocado being the main star, there were about equal amounts of all three veggies. So, I tried buying the powder mixes that the supermarkets keep conveniently located next to the avocados. While very easy to make, (just add avocado) these mixes seem to use powdered sour cream in their ingredient list (which is not one of my favorites) and I found the taste to be very acidic and too similar to sour cream and onion potato chips.

  After these failed experiences, I had written off making my own guacamole at home and decided to leave it to the professionals.

  However! Yesterday while food shopping for taco night necessities, I couldn’t help but pick up the Frontera All Natural Guacamole Mix. When I checked out the ingredients list, I found yummy things like fresh tomatillos, fresh tomatoes, green chiles, fresh onions, fresh cilantro and fresh garlic. I was also intrigued by the fact that it came in a jar and needs to be refrigerated after opening.



  The bottle suggests using the entire bottle with 3-4 avocados. Although my husband and I could probably eat a bowl of guac with 3-4 avocados in it, we shouldn’t, so I just used one and about ¼ of the jar. After tasting, I found it to be a bit spicy so I added the juice of half a lime, and about a ¼ cup of fresh cilantro to balance out the flavors.

  While I could have eaten this guac on its own, it was a great partner for our soft beef tacos! Knowing that this product exists makes me a happy girl because now I know that I can make yummy guac at home! J

Fun fact! This product is made by Top Chef Master Rick Bayless who owns the Frontera Grill in Chicago that my husband and I have eaten at. Thanks Rick!

Comments:

Post a Comment

Free Blog Template by June Lily