Thursday, October 18, 2012

Recipe to Reality: Crockpot Pot Roast


My crockpot and I have been getting to know each other this autumn.

One of my very best work friends gave me her old crockpot two years ago and I'm finally utilizing it!

I wish it had a timer feature, but because it doesn't, I try to pick recipes that need to cook for many, many hours while I'm at work.

This was my very first pot roast and I'd say it was very successful. The roast cooked on low for 10 hours and was extremely tender. I only wish I seasoned the meat before adding it to the pot!

I adapted this recipe from Betty Crocker.

Serves 6
Time: 10+ hours
Here's What You'll Need!

  • 2 tsp. olive oil
  • A 2-2 1/2 pound beef bottom round roast
  • 6 medium potatoes cut into chunks
  • 2 1/2 cups of baby carrots
  • 2 cups sliced white mushrooms
  • 1 stalk of celery, chopped
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. ground thyme
  • A 14 oz. can diced tomatoes, not drained (I used the garlic and oregano ones)
  • 1 can condensed beef consomme 
  • 1 cup V-8 juice
Put it All Together!

1) Heat oil in a medium-sized skillet. Season meat with salt and pepper and brown the meat on all sides (about 10 minutes).



2) Add the potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, celery, and onion to the 4-5 quart crockpot. Season with the salt, pepper, and thyme. Place beef on top of the veggies, and add the liquids- tomatoes, beef consomme, and V-8 juice. 



3) Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.  

4) If you want when you serve the beef, whisk a little flour into the leftover juices to make a gravy. I made some rice to serve as a bed for my roast.


The best part of this meal was the way the apartment smelled when I came home from work! A great way to save some time on a weeknight meal!

Stay Savory,


Comments:

Post a Comment

Free Blog Template by June Lily