Monday, September 10, 2012

Recipe to Reality: Chicken Cacciatore

Did you know that the word "cacciatore" means "hunter" in Italian?

I didn't! 

Let's just say I embraced my hunting instincts and cooked up some boneless skinless chicken thighs for the first time this past weekend!

Let's add on-the-bone chicken to the list of foods I don't eat...so I was up to trying the boneless thighs, but wasn't used to so much cleaning! They have much more fat than the breasts.

This is a classic dish my grandma used to make, but I didn't use grandma's recipe! Instead I got this recipe  from the February 2012 edition of Food & Wine Magazine.

Time: 45 minutes
4 servings

Here's What You'll Need!

2 tbs. olive oil
2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
Salt
Pepper
1 large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
8 oz. button mushrooms, sliced
1 tsp. rosemary
1/4 tsp. Italian seasoning
2 tbs. tomato paste
1/2 cup white wine
1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes

Put It All Together! 

1) Heat olive oil in a large, deep skillet.




2) I wasn't completely sure about the chicken being cut into "2-inch pieces" so I cut mine into strips and seasoned with salt and pepper. Add to the skillet over high heat for about 4 minutes on each side until browned. Remove the chicken from the skillet and transfer to a plate.




3) Add the onion, garlic, mushrooms, rosemary, and spices to the skillet. Also season with salt and pepper. Cook until veggies are soft and onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the wine and allow to reduce by half before adding tomato paste and crushed tomatoes.




4) Return the chicken to the skillet and bring to a boil.

5) Cover the skillet containing the chicken and tomato sauce partially and simmer over low heat for about 15. At this point the chicken should be cooked through and sauce should be thicker.


 Serve over rice and enjoy!!

After this experience I will certainly try chicken thighs again! The meat was juicy, the sauce tangy and flavorful. My husband took one bite of this and looked over at me with a gracious "Mmmmmmm!"

Hope everyone had a great back to school week!

Stay Savory,

Comments:

Post a Comment

Free Blog Template by June Lily